baby blythe

d + r = baby b

Being a working mom…

Leave a comment

Being a working mom is….well, tough. Don’t get me wrong, staying at home with a baby all day is work, too, but being a working mom is totally different (not necessarily harder, but different.)

I returned back to work on March 18, and now that I’ve been a working mom for a month and a half, I think I can confidently say that there are not enough minutes in my day to do everything I need to do. A day in my life goes something like this:

4:26 a.m.: Wake up! I’m one of those weird people who doesn’t like to set her alarm on a standard time. When I tell people what time I wake up in the morning, people say, “Oh my gosh. HOW do you do that?” When you have a baby, you just do what you got to do. That’s all there is to it. I pump in the morning instead of nursing Porter, because he is a SLOW eater. People kept telling me “Oh, he’ll get faster! You’ll eventually be able to feed him in 10 minutes!” This never really happened for Porter. Yes, sometimes he eats in 20, but other times he takes 45 minutes to eat. If I were to nurse him in the mornings, I’d have to wake up even EARLIER.

4:30 a.m.: Shower

4:47 a.m: Get dressed and stumble into the kitchen to make some coffee (Sometimes when I’m feeling extra motivated the night before I’ll have it ready to go so all I have to do is press the button. Sometimes before I go to bed, I’ll ask David to do this for me.)

4:50-5:30: Blow dry hair, get ready, get clothes ready (but I don’t get dressed yet, because that’s the LAST thing I do before walking out the door), etc.

5:30-5:40: Get breast pump parts ready to go, make breakfast, get all set up at the kitchen table to pump/eat

5:45-6:10: Pump while eating breakfast. Sometimes I check my personal email or get on Pinterest/Facebook.

*Usually Porter wakes up between 6:00-6:30, depending. If he wakes up while I’m still pumping, Daddy gets him and changes him. If he wakes up after I’m done pumping, I’ll get him and change him.

6:10-6:15: Get Porter’s bottle ready, put breast pump bottles in the fridge, finish putting my lunch together (Usually David will start feeding Porter his bottle during this time.)

6:15-6:25ish: Porter hugs and kisses (if he’s done eating). Otherwise, I go brush my teeth and get dressed

6:25-6:30ish: Porter hugs and kisses while hoping he doesn’t spit up on my work clothes

6:25-6:40ish: Gather purse, lunch, work bag, breast pump bag and walk out the door (I am SO lucky that David drops Porter off at the sitter each morning. If I had to do it, my day would be even crazier. Our sitter does not allow kids to be dropped off prior to 7 a.m., and if I were to do it, I wouldn’t get to school until after 7:15, which isn’t okay.)

6:40-6:50ish: Arrive at school. Students usually start walking in my room between 7:00-7:10, so this doesn’t give me much time to get situated.

6:45-7:35: Get ready for the day’s classes/lessons, make copies, help students, go to meetings, talk with colleagues (this varies depending on the day.)

7:40-11ish: Teach my butt off

11:00-11:30: Lock myself in my classroom to pump/eat lunch and maybe go to the bathroom if I’m lucky

11:30-2:45: Teach my butt off

2:45-3:00: Clean up room, write on the board for the next day, organize papers, put grades in, etc.

3:00: Leave school and go pick up Porter

3:30-4:00ish: Arrive home from picking Porter up and try to juggle my purse, work bag, breast pump bag, diaper bag, and car seat while walking in the door. Usually Maggie runs out the door and runs into me as soon as the door is opened. (The time we get home varies. Occasionally David’s mom will watch him, and when she does, I don’t home until 4:00.)

4:00ish: Put on sweatpants (yay!), change Porter and feed him

4:30-6:00ish: Play with/hold Porter (He cries if I put him down at any time.) During this time I also find a few minutes to put my breast milk from the day in the fridge and put my lunch dishes/utensils in the dishwasher. Every other day I also put diapers in the wash.

6:00ish-6:30ish (depending): Witness a complete meltdown whenever Porter gets tired. If it’s bath night, he gets a bath around this time. I try to time it before the meltdown.

6:00ish-6:30ish (depending): feed Porter and put him down

6:30-700: Try to figure out what the heck we’re going to eat for dinner. If David’s home, this is usually his job. In the fall/winter when David works longer hours due to the busy season, he doesn’t get home until after 8:30. In the spring/summer, he gets home between 6:30-7:00.

7:00-7:20: Eat dinner, watch tv for a few minutes

7:30-8:30: Clean (and by clean I mean clean up dinner, put dog toys in the basket, unload the dishwasher, and take out the trash…very rarely does this mean ACTUAL cleaning. My house is usually a disaster, but I do try to vacuum at least every other day due the Maggie hair), bag breast milk from the day, make lunch for the next day, grade papers, answer emails, do/fold laundry, get work clothes ready for the next day, get ready for bed, etc. Every other day I assemble diapers, too. If David’s home he does help me. 🙂 Sometimes I do have a bit of time to check out Pinterest, Facebook, or Instagram. Some nights I try to run/work out. If I do that, then I shower, and the rest of the evening gets pushed back a little. There are some days when David gets home earlier (between 4:00-5:00) and sometimes I try to squeeze in a run then.

8:30-9:00: Get in bed. I TRY to get in bed by 9:00 each night, because I do like to read before going to sleep.

8:30-9:30 (depending): Read

It takes me awhile to fall asleep at night, but I’d say that MOST nights I’m asleep by 10 p.m.

Yes, it’s a crazy life, and weekends are jam packed with trying to get everything else done that can’t be done during the busy week, but I wouldn’t trade it for the world. That being said, I cannot imagine doing all this with 2+ children!

Is it hard being a mom? Yes. Is it hard being a stay at home mom? Yes. Is it hard being a working mom? Yes. But I’m not complaining by any means, and as cliche as it sounds, it IS all worth it. I know one day when my youngest child leaves for college and I have “an empty nest,” I’ll yearn for these “crazy” days and want them back.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s